Since the end of March 2020, I have been seeing all of my clients virtually by video or telephone due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I give people the option of either with most of them choosing video. I use an secure encrypted Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)-compliant video platform which is of a superior quality to any of the free options people often use for face-to-face video chats.
While I miss seeing people in person, I have to admit that video sessions work far more effectively than many people thought they would initially. This technology is nothing new to me however- I have been using it for over a decade working with clients all over Canada with great success. The only difference now is that the people I would normally see in person I’m working with virtually either by video or telephone. In fact, a large portion of my client-base live in Victoria and yet we have never met in person! I honestly feel just as connected to these clients as those I have seen many times in my office. If you are still on the fence about online or telephone counselling, consider the following…
Top 10 Advantages of Video/Telephone Counselling
- The ability to have therapy sessions wherever you happen to be at the time
- A convenient way to access the help and support you need without having to travel to a therapist’s office
- Fun fact: 94% of people who used online counselling services preferred it to in-person counselling
- video/telephone counselling can be an excellent alternative for people who are unable to leave their home due to mental illness or physical limitations
- Being able to access counselling online or over the phone makes mental health treatment more accessible and makes it easier to overcome the stigma attached to mental health issues
- There is ZERO chance of either one of us making the other one sick
- I can meet your pets!
- No money spent on gas or bus fare
- A ‘greener’ option which helps us leave less of a carbon footprint
- Virtual travel! I get to ‘travel’ to your home/office/vehicle and you get to ‘be’ with me in my office on a regular basis